Sunday 11 January 2015

Navarna mantra for protection

Hari Om.

2015 has dawned. It brings with it both hope and fear. There is increasing violence everywhere. Yet there is undoubtedly also a resurgence of spirituality and ethical values all over the world. However negative ignorant materialistic tendencies still far outweigh positive noble tendencies and sadhana for the welfare of the world is desperately needed.

The unfortunate events in France that took place four days ago have oddly strengthened my faith in mantras as a positive force for protection.

On January 9, two days ago, I returned home with my father and husband after a pretty mundane day. It was around 9 pm in India. My father and husband sat down to dinner and asked me to join them. I was not particularly hungry and decided to have some fruit a bit later. We had been following the tragic events in France on the news. The latest was that the terrorists had been found but were locked up in two locations with some unfortunate hostages.There was no sign of a breakthrough at this time and it was a tense situation.

It was Friday, the day of the Goddess. I had happened to have bought some red roses from a roadside seller earlier that day. Red flowers always remind me of Durga, and I had meant to offer some of the roses to Her in a puja either later that day or the next day.

For some reason, on returning home I was seized with a strong desire to do a short puja to Devi then and there for Her intervention in the Paris situation.I felt sorry for the misguided terrorists and their terrible ideology. I felt even sorrier for the hostages and for the French forces who had the challenging task of arresting/killing the terrorists without causing further death of the hostages.

I wondered which mantra or mantras to recite to invoke the Divine Mother in this situation, and strongly felt that the Navarna mantra was appropriate. It invoked three forms of the Goddesss- Durga, Lakshmi and Sarasvati. And it is also the mantra of the fierce evil-destroyer form of the Goddess, namely Chamunda. I had been reading the Devi Mahatyam for the first time recently and was impressed to discover that Lakshmi and Sarasvati were not only sweet Goddesses of auspiciousness and wealth, but also had a powerful side to Them that destroyed evil (like Durga). All of course are different forms of the the One Parameshvari.

So I went and sat cross-legged on my bed, and created a makeshift altar in front of me- a picture and small  metal murti of Devi from the Kamakshi temple in Kanchipuram (that I obtained during my visit last month) placed on a cloth, and the red rose petals

After the usual short invocatory prayers to Ganesh, Guru, Devi and Shiva and Vishnu- I began saying the Navarna mantra clearly and slowly and offered a rose petal with each repetition. After all the rose petals were offered (there were about 50), I took up my japa mala and recited the mantra 108 times, pronouncing each part of the mantra very slowly with concentration.

While doing japa, I mentally imagined myself offering flowers at the Feet of the Devi who was watching me with a pleasant smile- this was in the heart space, centre of the chest, anahata chakra- my usual meditation point and place of manasik puja. I imagined Her seated on a throne with Vishnu and Sivananda seated to Her right (They were approvingly observing the puja!).

I prayed for world peace, for a positive outcome of the hostage sitatuion, for Her intervention, that things should turn out as per Her wish whatever it may be. After completion of the mala, I also imagined doing abhishekam of a Shiva linga with water and bael leaves. I also prayed to Lord Shiva for peace and protection of the world. Finally I repeated the Gayatri mantra three times as an offering to the Goddess, requesting intelligence and proper thinking for all beings. May good thoughts come to us from every side as the ancient Vedic prayer goes.

I then got up and went to have dinner. It was now around 9.45 pm in India. The puja had taken about 35 minutes. I switched on the television news channel while having dinner.

I was surprised and delighted to hear that the French forces had launched a successful program to free the hostages. It had been a very delicate operation that had to be timed well to avoid further death of hostages. The misguided terrorists had also been killed. While I felt sorry for the terrorists due to their twisted misguided ideology, I somehow felt that this was the will of the Divine.

This episode strengthened the feeling in me that God listens to our prayers. Thousands of people would have  been praying for the situation to resolve safely and I was simply one among many.

I found it interesting that I suddenly had a strong impulse to do a Devi puja using the powerful Navarna mantra (not usual for me to repeat this mantra except during Navaratri) - and that I started this puja moments just before the operation by the French forces to free the hostages. It was interesting that I was trying to send positive thoughts and prayers to help resolve the situation exactly during some very critical moments. I felt grateful to the Devi for involving me in Her Lila in this way. (Obviously the positive outcome was not because of my puja, but I somehow felt like one of Her instruments in this scenario and am grateful for this.)

The main message for me from this was that, as our sages say, 1) God plays out some strange Lilas- She is the criminal, the police and the people who pray! She is both beautiful and terrible, and Her Lila or Play reflects this. 2) God listens to our prayers. Mantras are very powerful tools for peace. We must repeat these more for world peace.

The second part is the reason I am writing this post. This event affirmed for me the fact that mantras are powerful tools for world peace. We must repeat them for world peace. For reduction of anger and destructive emotions in ourselves and in others. For an increase in divine thoughts of kindness and goodness in ourselves and others. We must pray, that the Divine Will permitting, peace and prosperity may return as much as possible to the Earth, and that negativity and harm may be reduced as much as possible.

When the Name of God is recited, no evil force can stand, no evil thoughts can exist. This is the definite declaration of our sages, and even beginners like me have had some experience of this. The Divine winds of good noble thoughts blow through our minds when the Name or mantra of God is taken.

So let us pledge some time everyday (be it 5 minutes or 5 hours) throughout 2015 for the sake of world peace, for the sake of our own spiritual progress. Let us attune ourselves to the Divine Will, pray to be instruments of the Divine, and pray that the Divine will may be done on Earth.

Om Aim Hrim Klim Chamundaye Vicche. Fervent thanks to She who is the embodiment of goodness, purity and all auspiciousness.

May She always bless and protect us all and guide us on the path of goodness.

Hari Om Tat Sat. Sarvam Sri Durgarpanamastu.

P.S. In the Sivananda tradition, it is advised that mantras containing bija aksharas (seed syllables, such as Aim, Hrim etc), such as the Navarna, should not be chanted in very large numbers (hundreds of thousands) without the guidance of a Guru. These mantras are powerful and can awaken kundalini faster than non-bija mantras. This can be a problem in one who is not mentally and physically prepared for such a rise. The guidance of a Guru and living a clean life (diet, surroundings etc) is especially important when chanting bija mantras. I chant this mantra occasionally in certain cirumstances as above and during Navaratri (as advised by Sivananda) but not in large numbers daily. I would advise anyone who plans to take up serious regular japa of the navarna mantra (or other mantra with bijaksharas) in large numbers to obtain the guidance of a proper Guru to ensure safe sadhana.

17 comments:

  1. Hello, I till yesterday I didn't know anything about this mantra. Today I woke up in the middle of sleep to realize that I was repeating this mantra while sleeping. I also felt some energy around me. Scared of it being negative force, I started reciting Hanuman ji's name till i fall asleep. Do you have any idea what happened with me? I am afrai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Something sort of similar once happened with me, and I will tell you the advice I was given. About ten years ago, while studying at university, I had been temporarily moved to a room different from my usual one. One day I stayed awake studying till about midnight and then fell asleep. While falling off to sleep I felt as though something/someone was trying to strangle me. I was definitely not asleep but my eyes were closed. Nothing like this had ever happened to me before and I was terrified. I said "Hari" repeatedly very fast and vigorously many times in my mind to ask God for help, and the feeling passed shortly afterwards. I woke up feeling petrified and unable to go back to sleep- I then picked up the phone and rang a lady Swami who I knew fairly well who kindly came to the phone despite the late hour.

      She said this experience could have come from my own mind, or it might have been some negative energy outside. Either way she said it was not my fault. However she said it would be wise to chant the name of God regularly before sleeping. I generally do some mantra chanting at night now and feel it is a great protection.

      I would therefore suggest the same for you. Try to do some repetition of God' name before sleeping to establish your consciousness in something divine before sleeping. Choose any name or mantra of God that you like and repeat it for 5-10 min at least. Although such experiences are scary, one good thing is that they show us that the name of God protects us in times of great adversity. One should therefore repeat the name of God daily for one's welfare. Best wishes.

      Delete
    2. there is no negative energy or positive energy but only waves of energy patterns in this mayavi sea...you are the creator,you are the Bramha,Vishnu,Maheshwar,Hanumanji....so why worry....have the power inside you with the believe born with repetitive thinking that you are the creator of this energies and you are the one to guide them as per your choice(it's not just a word,it's the reality)....If you are seeing ghosts,demons,gods then you just got started,try to relax and stay calm till when you see zero(you won't remember what you saw in this state after you wake up due will feel the pure bliss,eyes will be bright like a billion sun and face will look bright),as in zero you will not see of fear anything,vice versa the knowledge as shared here is like the by product of the zero point,so all who are reading are reaching a step up....

      Delete
  2. The Navarna Mantra is effective as its helps the chanter to manage prosperity, wealth, joy and bliss. This mantra also helps to maintain health.


    Lama Surya Das Spiritual Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can women chant Navaran Mantra (Om aim hreem kleem chamundaye Vicche namaha) daily?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they can, but this mantra should only be chanted under the guidance of a true Guru.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your response !!

      Delete
    3. You are welcome. Best wishes with your sadhana.

      Delete
  4. Is there any alternate solution/way, In case If could not find any guru? I used to meditate with this mantra daily but dont chant this mantra as one Priest told me that women can not chant this mantra. Kindly guide me how can i initiate chanting? I will be really thankful to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each spiritual tradition has a different view. My Guru Sivananda's view, which I follow, is that mantras made of bijas (such as navarna) should be practiced only under the guidance of a Guru (as explained above in the article). If you are yet to find your Guru, you could chant a different Devi mantra such as Om Sri Durgayai Namah or similar- this is also a powerful mantra and there are no risks involved in chanting this.
      Best wishes,
      Vishnupriya

      Delete
  5. When chanted Navarna Mantra after 108 times Ganesh mantra & Mayatri mantra in the morning for 10 malas....again the flame evoked again the zero state happened after long time...(4 hours passed in that state but felt like an hour or so)....when you chant this mantra or any mantra for higher number of repetitions,when the fear of death is conquered by the urge of reaching beyond and beyond and beyond,the mantras repeated through inside vibrates and hits the pineal region and beyond sahasrara chakra...the letting go of want and desires vanish and the only zeal to reach to the nexus increases with oath of no fearing the end ,as there is no end...Kriyas automatically happens in a altered state after that like sirshashana without any hand support,from there again in padmasan and bending of upper navel area to the ground in that....feeling blessed and want my creation to reach the state we call Shiva...

    Let there be light,let there be beautiful consciousness all around..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not Mayatri but Gayatri Mantra...but who cares she who is Gayatri is also the beloved Ma/Maya/Maha Maya :-)

      Delete
    2. Not Mayatri but Gayatri Mantra...but who cares she who is Gayatri is also the beloved Ma/Maya/Maha Maya :-)

      Delete
  6. Can you please let me know if durga saptashati can be read with out gurus initiation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good information and guidance to spiritual seekers. Many many thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comments. Best wishes with your sadhana.

      Delete