Thursday 18 September 2014

Navaratri sadhana

I am approaching the half way point of the current purascharana. Have been doing more japa in the last three weeks as I have had more time- have been doing 4 hours a day on average. Not a huge amount, but it's a big jump from the 1/2-1 hour a day I was doing in the past few months while inundated with work pressures, exam preparation and organising my wedding. I wanted to do six hours a day but my mind just could not take it (not could my body- everything ached after sitting still for an hour).

The last three weeks have been the first continuous period of time in the last few years that have been mostly dedicated to sadhana (without work/any major outside commitments). It was surprisingly tough. The mind is so ambitious and hopeful, but when it actually comes down to doing things, it is not so easy. I have had four one hour sessions of japa since September 1. This is going to continue until Sept 21. After that I will have to reduce back to 1 hour a day for a while as I am moving house next week and have tons of packing to do. Might try and increase the japa again next month on moving home, before traveling to India. I have also done some homams at home and have been doing tarpanam in the last few weeks as it is pitru paksha (the two week period to pay homage to our ancestors and get their blessings for material and spiritual progress).

The obstacles in the more intense sadhana were many. Various cravings grew stronger- e.g. chocolate, a weakness of mine (luckily am skinny otherwise would be in even more trouble). Also have had difficult being disciplined with routine- going to bed on time is surprisingly hard. My interest in vedic astrology also re-surfaced in the past three weeks and I have been reading about it in between my japa- almost obsessively in fact, mostly trying to get insights into my spiritual path from it. I've been telling myself it is an apara vidya, a limited form of knowledge and therefore not something I ought to spend too much time with. I would be better off doing some spiritual reading instead. However my interest in it has remained and I have decided to use it as a spiritual tool and dedicate my studies in it to the Divine- may bet I am meant to learn more about it. I also suddenly have a wish to learn about vastu- the ancient Vedic science of design and construction based on natural laws. I am going through a Jupiterian phase according to vedic astrology, hence possibly the revival of interest in all these esoteric subjects. I have also started a beginner's online course in Sanskrit which I am enjoying very much. Fortunately I can read Devanagari script which makes learning this language a lot easier.

Anyway I am now getting to the halfway stage of this, my second, purascharana. I feel that the Divine Mother alone is the inspiration and strength to keep going with this and other sadhanas. She is after all, called Iccha shakti (will power), Kriya Shakti (power of action) and Jnana Shakti (power of learning). It is good that Navaratri is coming up next week as this is a good chance to do some simple yet effective sadhana to say thank you to Her and invoke Her blessings for ongoing sadhana.

My plan is to do three malas a day of Om Dum Durgayai Namah on the first three days that are dedicated to Durga. Then three malas a day of Om Sri MahaLakshmyai Namah for the next three days of Lakshmi. And then three malas a day of Om Aim Sarasvatyai Namah for the following three days to pay homage to Mother Saraswati. Finally on Vijaya Dasami I would like to do a homam with just ghee offerings to the Divine Mother to the chanting of all three mantras, and also the Navarna mantra of Mother. I will also aim to do an abhishekam, bathing the deity in milk and water once daily throughout the nine days after chanting of mantras.

Spirtual sadhana seems to involve a lot of rising and falling. I see it a bit like being a ice skater or a ballet dancer. People who excel in these fields have to suffer many falls and injuries first, before maturing over many years and then being able to deliver flawless performances. Spiritual life seems similar to me. It is not for those afraid of failure, and a few cuts and bruises. It is hard work to deal with one's errant mind that always wants its own way. One fails and fails again. (Drat that chocolate) Yet I think the secret is that one must rise again and again from the ashes of failure, a bit like the mythological bird, the phoenix. One needs to emerge from the ashes like the phoenix, inspired and strong, ready for another day. Another day of sadhana and possibly failures, but each bit of sadhana is one step closer to success. And when the Divine Mother has us in Her lap, and looks after our sadhana, there is nothing to fear and all is ultimately well.

Om Aim Hrim Klim Chamundaye Vicche

No comments:

Post a Comment