Friday 13 February 2015

Mauna

Hari Om,

I was reflecting on the importance of proper speech recently. The majority of conflicts and troubles in the world today arise from harmful speech.....words that are spoken carelessly with no regard for their impact on the listener, or to deliberately hurt the listener. This is a form of himsa or violence.

The tongue is a very troublesome organ with two primary functions. To taste food, and to speak. Most people struggle to control both these functions. We often have to struggle to avoid being a slave to the cravings of the tongue- and end up eating anything we like, only to develop numerous health problems later (type two diabetes, heart disease and many other significant diseases are all related to diet).
And we struggle to control our speech....when someone is rude, we feel like being rude back. It is a momentary satisfaction to retort back rudely, but unfortunately we pay a great spiritual price for this. Our character is paramount for success in meditation, and for development of character, we cannot afford to commit violence with speech. Further, getting into heated arguments with people is a great waste of time and energy- time is the one thing than we can never get back once lost. As spiritual aspirants, we must use it well.

There are three important things with regard to speech from the yogic perspective that are crucial for moving closer to God, to have the experience of Truth:
1. Speaking only what is necessary (not too much unneccessary talking). This conserves energy for spiritual practices such as meditation.
2. Speaking the truth. An absolutely indispensable pre-requisite for spiritual progress as per yoga. There is no question of a spiritual progress for a habitual liar who does not try to change. Truth can only be experienced by those who revere it....by those who speak the Truth.
3. Speaking with consideration and kindness...ahimsa paramo dharma....we need to consider the impact of our words on the minds of our listeners. We need to ensure our words have a positive impact, are not agitating. We must think very carefully before speaking an unpleasant truth...it must be spoken as diplomatically and tactfully as possible, only if absolutely necessary for the welfare of the listener (not because we want to vent our frustration on the other), and is as kind a way as possible.

I have been practicing the above three tenets in a casual manner so far. I try my best not to lie, but admit that I sometimes do. I talk too much at times in my opinion- albeit mostly on spiritual matters (mostly to family), but too much talking is not good regardless of the subject. And I don't always practice perfect ahimsa in speech.....I am guilty of sometimes saying unpleasant things to others just to feel better.

I notice these flaws in myself and have decided to take steps to correct this. The first step I intend to take is regular practice of Mauna.
 Mauna or observation of silence helps one to gain control over one's speech as per yoga. I have been observing silence for a half day (6 pm on one day till 12 pm the next day or similar) for the past two weeks and it is surprising how even this little practice helps greatly. I feel better when I keep quiet. It has also reduced the number of arguments with others. I also find that I talk less even after the period of mauna is over. During mauna, I try not to use too many hand gestures to communicate, and only do so if absolutely essential to reply to someone.

I plan to make 2015 a year of speech awareness. To practice the above three principles of good speech. And to continue the practice of mauna/silence for at least half a day, every week for this year. I am hopeful that this practice will help me make some significant progress in mauna of the mind, not just of speech. Gradually this practice is supposed to bring about control of mind, and less restless thoughts. We shall see what takes place.

Hari Om Tat Sat

No comments:

Post a Comment