Sunday 8 October 2017

Completion of purascharana three

Hari Aum.

I completed the third purascharana of the ashtakshara mantra of Vishnu yesterday (i.e. 800,000 recitations). This purascharana was started in late Jan 2016 and therefore took about 20 months. I am very grateful to God and Guru through whose grace I feel I was able to complete this sadhana.

 As mentioned in a previous post, I am currently in the process of doing eight purascharanas in a row. After completion of the eight purascharanas, my plan is to then do an additional 10% of the total as a substitute for homam/tarpan/marjan (as advised by my Guru Sivananda in his book Japa yoga).


After each of the previous two purascharanas, I took a 'mantra holiday' of 6-8 weeks before starting the next purascharana. During the 'holiday', I continued the japa but reduced the number of malas compared to what I did during the purascharana. I found this helped to rest my mind and created motivation for the next purascharana.

Therefore, as before, I will be taking a 'mantra holiday' from today. I will do only 5 malas a day for the next 7 weeks instead of the 15 that I was doing until yesterday.
 Then somewhere in the second half of November next month, I will start my next fourth purascharana. I plan to do 15 malas a day during the next purascharana and this should take around 1 year and 4.5 months to complete.

During the coming weeks, during my mantra holiday before the next purascharana, I plan to read the description of the life of Krishna from beginning to end in the Srimad Bhagavatam. I will also do one mala daily of a Durga mantra for at least 4 weeks, starting the coming Friday. This is to offer thanks to the Divine Mother for Her blessing that I feel keeps me going on the path of sadhana.

As before, I dedicate this purascharana to peace everywhere. May the dharma of Lord Narayana prevail in all the worlds, may all beings think and act in tune with the Divine- and thus, may peace and prosperity prevail everywhere.

Om Lokah Samastah Sukhinoh bhavantu (May all beings be happy)
Om Namo Narayanaya

Hari Aum Tat Sat

P.S. Some people have written on this blog in the past to ask me what effects I have felt after the purascharanas so I will mention this here briefly (have also discussed this in a previous post).

I mainly feel more aware of the presence of God after doing the purascharanas. I remember God much more frequently now than I used to before starting this practice. The Gurus say that the way to God is to remember Him always. I feel I am improving in remembering God due to this mantra practice.

Also, I meditate on Vishnu in the anahata chakra (centre of the chest) while doing japa. So even when I am not doing japa, I feel aware of His presence there. The yogis say God resides in the heart of all beings. I am more aware of the God residing within me as a result of this practice. I feel able to turn to this God for help when I need it.

The purascharana practice has also helped me become more aware of the flaws in my mind such as anger, jealousy and other negative emotions  and I feel I am slowly and steadily gaining better control over these. I also feel an increase in some positive qualities such as compassion, patience, understanding and have a stronger desire to be a support to those in need.

I feel I have quite some way yet to go before I attain God. However I feel sure that each purascharana takes me one step closer and so I continue this practice, with the inspiration given by my Guru Sivananda.

 Om Namo Bhagavate Sivanandaya. Om Sri Gurave Namah.

No comments:

Post a Comment