Tuesday 26 March 2019

Motivation

Hari Aum.

I was just reflecting that motivation to do spiritual practices is definitely due to the grace of God. We often say "I did sadhana" but the reality is that we would not be able to lift a finger to do any form of sadhana were it not for the grace of God. It is His/Her grace that gives us the motivation and will-power to do sadhana.

I feel this rather strongly having lost my motivation for sadhana a few months ago and having regained it again recently. I am back to my usual japa and manasik puja practice and also including some kirtan and svadhayaya (spiritual study) as able. As I'm in the second trimester of pregnancy at a stage where the baby is supposed to be able to hear, I'm hoping she's enjoying the japa and kirtan. I really feel the best gift I can give her as a mother is a love for the name of God and I pray that she will be blessed with this throughout her life. (Obviously a parent also needs to provide all the practical, material necessities of life but these can only take one so far. Ultimately it is the name of God that bestows all auspiciousness in life, both spiritual and material.)

I am about halfway through my first draft of the fourth Krishna book. This bit of the Bhagavatam has some very motivating bits on sadhana in Kali yuga. Basically it says that Kali yuga is an excellent time to be born if one wants to attain the spiritual goal of life, i.e. eternal peace, bliss and wisdom. The reason of course is that very simple sadhana such as singing and loud chanting of the names of God alone is adequate to attain spiritual success. One need not stand on one leg and meditate for years on end as in previous yugas. All this also adds to one's motivation to continue sadhana.

I was having a chat with my sister recently and discussing that I felt that it was 'outrageous' to think of my attaining God in this lifetime as I felt too lowly and small to attain such a great goal no matter what sadhana I did. She asked what was so outrageous about it. After all, she said that when one demands various material things from God (such as winning the lottery, landing a lucrative job etc), He may or may not respond depending upon His will for us.

However, since the goal is spiritual, God Himself, why would He not respond to our request. Her view, like many of the yogis, was that if one wants this above all else, then why not? On reflection, I do feel that I want this above all else. I'm of course very grateful for all the material things God has given me (health, family, wealth etc) but I feel that God Himself is the basis, the support, of it all. Therefore, He is to be given first place in one's life. It's interesting that it can be relatively easy to tell others that they can surely attain spiritual success through sadhana, but it can sometimes be hard to really believe that one can achieve this oneself (probably because one knows one's mind with all its flaws better than one knows that of others!).

This is why the grace of God is important. No matter how many flaws the mind has, the Bhagavatam and the yogis assure us that they can be destroyed by the chanting of the name of God. The name cuts through sins like a knife cuts through butter. I'm glad I have this conviction that keeps me going on the spiritual path.

Om Sri Gurave Namah
Om Namo Bhagavate Sivanandaya
Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya.

Hari Aum Tat Sat

2 comments:

  1. Hi VIshnupriya,

    I m so very fan of your consistency & simplicity, genuineness in your sadhana... congrats on your pregnancy.... you have made it all the more beautiful with your sadhana... I am sure baby is enjoying this spiritual phase.. Best of luck to you & yours... enjoy the blessings

    ReplyDelete