Wednesday 10 August 2022

Some favourite kirtan music

 Hari Aum.

There are many amazing devotional yogi musicians today both in the East and the West. Also, within India, there are the North Indian/Hindustani and South India/Carnatic devotional music styles. 
(I am a fan of both Eastern and Western devotional music--having spent about 40% of my life in India and 60% in the West. I also really like both Hindustani and Carnatic music--as my family's roots are in South India/Kerala but I grew up in the North/Delhi).

So I'd like to share some East, West, North and South kirtan music here. :) All of the musicians below have created numerous beautiful compositions; I am sharing just a few examples of their work here. There are many other musicians that I love; this is just a small selection of current favourites (might update this list in the future as I discover more favourites). 

Some of my favourite North Indian/Hindustani devotional musicians:

1. Pandit Jasraj

i) Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya (mantra of Krishna that grants spiritual and material blessings)



ii) Shiva raksha stothra (mantras of Lord Shiva that grant protection)


iii)  Devi Kavacham (in praise of the many forms of the Divine Mother)



2. Gurumaa

i) Mahishasura mardini strothram (in praise of Mother Durga)


[Note- Gurumaa created an album on Sufi music called 'Zikr' some years ago, I cannot find it online anymore (though I have it on iTunes) but it is wonderful if you get a chance to listen]

3. Manish Vyas 



Favourites by Carnatic musicians:

1. Kuldeep Pai's students 

Radhe Govinda (in praise of Radha and Krishna)


Pibare Rama rasam (in praise of Rama nama)



2. Mixed group of singers

Guru ashtakam (dedicated to the Guru)



3. Uma Mohan

Ganesh prayer



Favourites by Western yogi devotees:

1. Krishna Das

Radhe Govinda (in praise of Radha Krishna)


2. Jim Gelcer

Om Bhagavan (dedicated to Sivananda)



Om Namo Narayanaya.

Hari Aum Tat Sat.

1 comment:

  1. I liked Krishna Das very much and has been listening to his music for last several yeras. I even attended one of his concerts in Rishikesh (Way back in 2017)

    ReplyDelete