Wednesday 1 February 2023

Start of purascharana six

 Hari Aum. 

I have made a start on my sixth purascharana today. This is an auspicious siddha yoga day (based on jyotisha or Vedic astrology). I aim to recite a modest seven malas of the ashtakshara mantra of Narayana daily for the next three years (which is the approximate time it will take to complete this sadhana). 

I feel this is a realistic amount based on my current circumstances (work and home situation). The purpose of this purascharana, as with the previous ones, will be spiritual progress (particularly learning to accept the will of God), and for dharma to prevail upon this planet. 

In addition, I will also perform one mala a day of a mantra of Mother Lakshmi for the duration of this purascharana. I have been reciting Her mantra (Om Shri MahaLakshmyai Namah) daily for the past six weeks or so (since completion of the last purascharana) and I have found this incredibly calming and good for my health (both physically and mentally). 

I feel more peaceful and have more energy in recent weeks and feel this is very likely due to the grace of Mother Lakshmi (there may also be an astrological element to this as I have finally completed the 'sade sati' phase). I have therefore decided to do this mini-worship of Her every day during this purascharana. 

The purpose of this sadhana for Her is the same as for the Narayana mantra except there is a greater emphasis on requesting good health (as recent years have shown me that I cannot take this for granted anymore and this is of course vital to achieve anything in life including spiritual practice. Lakshmi rules Venus, the planet representing the ascendant ruler in my Vedic astrology chart so Her worship would traditionally be recommended for general wellbeing and this fits with my recent experience). 

As recitation of Goddess mantras is usually advised to be done with clear quartz crystal or 'sphatika' mala, I have recently purchased one for this sadhana and absolutely love it. The crystal beads are cool and soothing (especially now during winter) and I love twirling them as I recite the Goddess mantra. (I will of course continue to use my usual Tulasi mala while reciting the ashtakshara mantra of Narayana).

Along with this japa of the mantras of Lakshmi-Narayana, I will continue the practice of kirtan which has become a more regular spiritual practice in recent years (since I started learning Carnatic music again and took up the devotional singing classes). I will also persevere with learning Bharatanatyam dance as I very much see this as a form of spiritual practice (it feels like a sort of dynamic meditation) and it is good for my physical health.

I have been travelling on this path of purascharana for eleven years since January 2012 and it has become more interesting and also more challenging with time (as mentioned in previous posts). I have no idea what this purascharana will bring but I very much hope and pray that I will be able to complete it (God-willing and health-permitting). 

As I conclude I want to just say share a few thoughts on the subject of mantra japa and world peace. Krishna says in the Gita that we have a right to act, but we have no right demand a certain result as a consequence of our actions ("karmanyevadhikaras te, ma phaleshu kadachana"). 

We therefore have a right (and a duty) to pray and recite mantras for world peace, but we have no right to insist upon a specific result. We need to trust God to do what is required (even if it feels disturbing at times). 

We cannot say for sure what will happen with our planet this year in terms of peace. All we can say, is that the situation is not looking particularly good at present. The conflict in Europe shows no sign of abating; it only seems to be intensifying (and other parts of the world also seem to be experiencing increasing conflict). Very little if anything seems to be happening by way of diplomacy to resolve the situation. 

I very much hope and pray that we are not heading towards another World War. But if we do find ourselves in one at some stage (this year or in the coming years), we must of course continue to pray no matter what. 

In intensely difficult moments, in the midst of great suffering, the feeling can grow in us that we have been abandoned by God Himself (Jesus himself is said to have felt this way when he was on the cross; He famously said "My God, my God, why have You abandoned me?").  Despite the doubts that may grow from within us (and the often mocking/pitying words of atheists who like to tell us that there is nobody to listen to our prayers and that we are wasting our time), we must hold on to our faith and continue our spiritual practices. We must trust ourselves, trust our Gurus and trust God.

Human history is filled with times of great challenge. The scriptures of all religions describe great wars (for example the Mahabharata) and natural disasters (great floods are mentioned in many religions). However, in the end, the triumph was always of the side of the good. In the end, after all the challenges, there was peace, there was joy, there was happiness.

We need to remember this as we enter 2023 and as we dedicate our spiritual practice for the sake of dharma and world peace. No matter what this year brings, we need to remember that God is with us (He has not abandoned any of us, no matter what we are going through and even if we feel this way at times). We must repeat His names and mantras and thus stay close to Him and draw His grace upon ourselves and others regardless of the chaos of the outside world.

Om Sri MahaLakshmyai Namah.
Om Namo Narayanaya.
Om Namo Bhagavate Sivanandaya.

Hari Aum Tat Sat

2 comments:

  1. Namaskaram Sister,

    As always an extremely spiritually uplifting blog. One feels invigorated reading this and feels more determined to continue one's japa and prayers. I absolutely agree with you that prayers for "peace" is of utmost importance given what is happening around us. I have been doing that in my daily prayers for past many months now and will continue to do so. All the best for your 6th Purushcharana - I have absolutely no doubt that you will successfully complete it. Good souls like you are very rare and I know you have not had the best of the health in the past - I pray to Mother Lakshmi for your good health. I pray to the Divine Mother and Divine Father to bless us all for pursuing our spiritual sadhana with all the necessary determination. Om Maha Lakshmiyai Namaha Om Namo Narayanaya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Namaskaram Sister, thank you very much for the kind words and prayers-- I really appreciate it. May the Mother bless you too with spiritual success and material comfort.
      Om Om

      Delete