Friday 12 May 2017

Vishnu: Favourite slokas and quotations

Hari Aum.

Just felt like sharing some favourite slokas here (I am fond of many slokas to Devi, Shiva and other forms of God, but as Hari is my favourite form of God, unsurprisingly all my favourite slokas are related to Him):

1.
Kayena vacha, manasendriyairva,
budhyatmanava, prakritisvabhavat,
karomi yadyat, sakalam parasmai,
Narayanayeti samarpayami.

Meaning: Whatever I do with speech, mind, senses, intelligence, the whole of my nature/being, all this I offer to Lord Narayana.

This is a famous prayer to Narayana to help surrender sense of doership. As Sivananda says, it is Narayana/God who is the source of body, senses, mind, intelligence and all things are done by Him alone.

2.

Mookam karoti vachalam, pangum langhayate girim,
yat kripa tamaham vande, paramanandam Madhavam.

That One whose grace grants a mute person eloquence of speech, and which makes a lame person climb mountains, to that supreme bliss Madhava, I offer my obeisances.

3.

 Shantakaram Bhujagashayanam
Padmanabham Suresham,
Vishwadharam Gaganasadhrisham
Meghavarnam Shubhangam.
Lakshmikantam Kamalanayanam
Yogibhirdhyana gamyam
Vande Vishnum Bhavabhayaharam
Sarvalokaikanatham.

Obeisances to Vishnu who is peaceful, who rests on the serpent, with a lotus navel, leader of the demi-gods, the supporter of the whole world, as vast as the sky, dark in colour like the rain clouds, the handsome one, the husband of Lakshmi, with lotus eyes, who removes fears in life, the lord of all the worlds.

4.
Narayana gayatri
Aum Narayanaya vidmahe, Vasudevaya dhimahi, Tanno Vishnu prachodayat.

Narayana gayatri- let us meditate on Narayana, Vasudeva, may Lord Vishnu guide us.

5.

Aum Sri Krishnaya Vasudevaya Haraye Paramatmane, Pranatah kleshanashaya, Govindaya namo namah.

6.

Yada yada hi dharmasya, glanirbhavati bharata, abhyuthanam adharmasya, tadatmanam srijamyaham. Paritranaya sadhunam, vinashaya cha dushkritam, dharma samsthapanatharya, sambhavami yuge yuge.

Sri Krishna's words to Arjuna in the Gita:
Whenever dharma declines and adharma prevails, then I appear. To protect the good and vanquish evil, I appear in every age.

7.

Naham vasami Vaikunthe, yoginam hridaye na cha, madbhakta yatra gayanti, tatra tishthami Narada.

Lord Hari's words to Narada from the brihad-Naradiya purana: I neither reside in Vaikuntha, nor in the hearts of yogis. Where my devotee sings, there I reside Narada.

8.

Harer namaiva namaiva namaiva mama jivanam. Kalau nastyeva nastyeva nastyeva gatir anyatha.

Famous quotation from the Padma purana: The name of Hari alone is my life. In kali yuga, there is no other way (to liberation).

9.

Yatra yogeshwara Krishno, yatra Partho dhanurdhara, tatra shrirvijayo bhutirdhruva nitir-matir-mama

Ekasloki Gita:  spoken by Sanjaya, the last sloka of the Gita:
"Where there is Krishna, the master yogi, and where there is Arjuna, the master bowman, there will be prosperity, victory and righteousness- this is my firm opinion.

10.

Sarvam Shri Krishnarpanamastu

To Lord Krishna, I give my all

11.

Sarva dharman parityajya, mamekam sharanam vraja,
Aham tva sarva-papebhyo, mokshayishyami, ma shucha

Lord Krishna's famous promise in the 18th chapter of the Gita:

Meaning: Leaving all dharmas, come to Me alone, I will liberate you from all sins, do not sorrow.

12.

Shri Krishna sharanam mamah
Shri Rama sharanam mamah

Meaning: Shri Krishna, Shri Rama, please grant me refuge

Hari Aum Tat Sat

No comments:

Post a Comment