Wednesday 6 September 2017

Qualities of a good disciple: the pledge of purushartha (self-effort)

Hari Aum.

There are many Gurus out there. One chooses a Guru based on one's own character. One gets what one deserves.

Some disciples do not wish to do any sadhana. They want a 'quick fix', a fast route to samadhi with minimal effort. They are attracted by false Gurus who promise everything quickly and easily with  no effort. Such disciples end up nowhere ultimately -their lives are wasted being cheated by 'Gurus' who promise samadhi by giving a drop of water from their kamandalu (water pot of a sadhu) or similar cheap tricks. This is very unfortunate. 

Nothing worthwhile in this world comes free. One should always remember this.

In both material or spiritual life, good things comes to those who are prepared to work for them. A good student who works hard excels in examinations. A lazy student who hopes to pass by sheer luck fails miserably. People blame their bad luck for their failures. The truth is that they simply did not put in the effort.

The law of the universe states that you reap what you sow. If you sow hard work, you will get results. It may take time, but you will get your just deserts in time. If you sow laziness, you will get nothing in return.

If you give nothing, you will get nothing.

If you give everything, your whole heart and soul, you get everything. This applies to spiritual and material life.

As Thomas Edison, the well-known American inventor and businessman said, "Genius is 1 % inspiration (chance/luck), and 99% perspiration (hard work)".

Every genuine Guru attained wisdom by purushartha (self-effort) themselves. They worked very hard to purify their minds, to do tapas, to concentrate, to meditate and attain God. Look at Tulasidas, Mirabai, Jesus, Buddha, Ramakrishna, Sivananda and others. All worked hard to remember God constantly, to develop genuine love of God- and in the end, all attained God.

Such genuine Gurus, who themselves worked very hard, tell their disciples to also work hard. They tell the disciples that there is no short-cut. One must be prepared to put in the effort. Help comes to those who try.

Hari Aum Tat Sat

7 comments:

  1. Good morning. Sree Matrey Namah.
    Vishnu Priya ji.I have been following your blog for a few months now. It is really excellent to find someone who thinkson the same lines as we think. And I find that in your writings.

    Yes,I am a spiritual seeker and and a disciple of Bhawan A Sri Satya Said Baba.I want to make the best use of this Manush janma,that is, seek the almighty through sadhana.
    I do japa of 11 malas everyday. Since I work and have to take care of the family, on some days due to work or personal responsibilities, I will not be able to complete all the 11 malas. Then I will try my best to compensate on the other days.
    And I also recite the Lalitha sahasranama min of one time to a maximum of 5 times depending on my work schedule.i want to take puruscharana, for which I need a small help from you. Could you please identify a good muhurtha for me to start it. I want to do it for progress of Bhakthi, jnana vairagya sadhana.pl help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Madhavi,
      Nice to hear about your sadhana and your plan to take up a purascharana.
      I have written a detailed post on muhurtha selection last month, kindly have a look at this. Put very simply, check out the drik panchang website and select a sarvartha siddhi yoga day (or other auspicious yoga day) to commence your sadhana. Here is a link of auspicous siddhi yoga days for September (check the location is set correctly) http://www.drikpanchang.com/yoga/sarvarthasiddhi-yoga-date-time.html?l=8557&date=14/09/2017
      Hope this helps, wish you the very best with your sadhana, may God and Guru bless you with success.
      Vishnupriya

      Delete
  2. Sorry a typo error, my guru is Bhagawan Sri Satya Sai Baba

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot Vishnu priya ji for your prompt response. Thanks for your guidance. On the day I would start purascharana, do I need to perform any special pooja?

    I am planning to do recite the Lalitha sahasranama and Guru pooja and then pray ardently to Amma to help me succeed in my sadhana.
    Need your guidance and blessings.In one way you too are my Guru.
    My pranams to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Madhavi. Your plan for puja and worship prior to starting purascharana sounds good. In addition, I suggest a short hymn at the start to invoke Lord Ganesha to request removal all obstacles from your spiritual path. No other special worship is needed in my view.
      I am no Guru but as a fellow traveler on the spiritual path, I am happy to provide guidance as per my capacity. God who is Guru resides within you. My pranams to you too. May God and Guru ever bless you.
      Vishnupriya

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your response Vishnu Priya ji.
    Sorry for the delayed response. Actually I was out of town to attend a workshop and hence could not respond.

    As you suggested I shall surely do the Ganesh pooja first.

    One more question I have, during puruscharana will the japa done whike travelling, cooking etc. Come into count or only the number of times we do sitting at one place dedicatedly?
    Pl let me know about this.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Madhavi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madhavi,

      No worries at all. I would say that where possible japa should be done seated in a special place kept aside specifically for this purpose.

      However, if sometimes the circumstances are such that this is impossible, then japa can be done wherever but one must still try to focus on the mantra and do it with feeling.

      It is better to do japa while cooking/traveling etc than not do it at all. Ideally one would always do it while seated in the proper place, but this may not always be possible due to day-to-day circumstances- in which case one should still try to do it somehow or the other with as much devotion as possible.

      Hope this helps.

      Best regards,

      Vishnupriya

      Delete